Beets are a good source of folate and antioxidants, and oranges are a good source of vitamin C. This salad combines both these power foods to create a healthy, cancer-fighting dish.
This recipe is from the American Institute for Cancer Research.
4 medium beets, stems trimmed to 1-inch
1 large navel orange
8 large butter or Boston lettuce leaves
1-2 Tbsp. diced red onion
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
Ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Set a steamer insert into a large, deep saucepan. Pour in cold water to a depth of 2 inches, making sure it does not
touch the bottom of the steamer. Arrange the beets in one layer the steamer. Cover tightly, and set the pot over high heat. When the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer the beets 45 minutes, or until a thin knife meets slight resistance when inserted into the center at the widest point. Transfer the beets to a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle.
2. To avoid staining your work surface, lay a sheet of plastic wrap over it. Slip your hands into plastic sandwich bags.
Cut the tops and root tip off the beets. With your fingers, pull and slide off their skin. Cut each beet crosswise into 6 slices.
3. Grate 2 teaspoons zest from the orange and set aside. Cut off the top and bottom of the orange. Setting the orange on one of its cut sides on your work surface, slice off the peel in strips, letting the knife follow the curve of the fruit. Cut the orange crosswise into 8 slices.
4. To assemble, line 4 salad plates with the lettuce. On each plate, arrange 6 beet slices and 2 orange slices on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle on one-fourth of the onions. Or, if desired, line a serving platter with the lettuce, top with all the beets and orange slices, and the onion.
5. For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon juices, vinegar, salt, and pepper until the salt dissolves. Whisk in the oil and add zest. Spoon the dressing over the salad. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 90 calories, 4 g total fat (<1 g
saturated fat), 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g
protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 360 mg sodium.