Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
For a dish that is packed full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, try this butternut squash and chickpea curry recipe. The coconut milk and pureed squash give the broth a creamy texture. The spices give it a kick of flavor.
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash, 1" cubes
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 small to medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped, 1" cubes
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup refrigerated plain coconut milk (see Note)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile, or to taste
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or use no-salt added)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, 1-inch florets
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- Salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cinnamon, black pepper and salt and set aside.
Spread squash on baking sheet and coat liberally with cooking spray. Roast squash until soft, 30 minutes, stirring once
While squash bakes, heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, rutabaga and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, 4 minutes. Mix in garlic and combined spices, stirring until they smell fragrant, 1 minute. Pour in broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are just tender, 12-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place roasted squash in blender. Add coconut milk and chipotle chili, and whirl to a smooth purée. If mixture is thicker than a puréed soup, add water, 1/2 cup at a time. Add purée to the cooking vegetables.
Add chickpeas, broccoli and bell pepper to the pot and simmer, uncovered, until curry is creamy, about 6 -10 minutes. Broccoli should be bright green and crisp tender. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 212 calories, 4 g fat (<1 g sat fat), 39 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 6 g fiber, 544 mg sodium