Checklist for Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Survivors
You’ve just been diagnosed with breast cancer. You probably have a million questions. You may not know what to do first. Even if you haven’t started treatment yet, there are still things you can do before hand to make your experience easier. Take control of your cancer journey by completing the Newly Diagnosed Checklist.
Create a Profile on My PearlPoint
- With a profile, you will be able to save all your resources to your dashboard, track your well-being and nutrition goals, and chat with a cancer support professional.
- Creating a profile is easy! Click here to get started.
Understand My Cancer Diagosis
- The more you know about your cancer the better you can prepare for what lies ahead. What is breast cancer? What are your treatment options? What should you ask your doctor? What side effects can you expect?
- Read “Understand Breast Cancer” to find out.
- For even more information about navigating your cancer journey, download the Breast Cancer Handbook for everything you need to know through diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship.
Talk to My Doctor About a Clinical Trial
- Clinical trials improve the standard of care for all cancer patients. Is a clinical trial right for you?
- Use our Clinical Trials Locator to learn more about clinical trials.
Get My Finances in Order
- Cancer puts a strain on your wallet even with health insurance. You need to make sure your finances are in order before you begin treatment. You will thank yourself later!
- For tips on preparing financially, read Financial Concerns and Cancer.
Fill Out My Advanced Directives
- Although it is scary to think about, you want to make sure you receive the type of treatment you want even if you are not able to tell your doctors. You don’t want your family members to have to make these tough decisions for you.
- Read our article on Advanced Directives to learn more.
Eat Healthier To Prepare for Treatment
- Eating healthier before and during treatment can help you feel better, maintain strength, and speed your recovery.
- To learn more about healthy eating, check out “I Have Breast Cancer. What Should I Eat?”
Stock My Pantry with Healthy Foods
- You may not feel like grocery shopping after treatment. Fill your pantry with nutritious food choices now.
- Use our Pantry List as your guide.
Connect with a Survivor
- No one can understand what you’re going through like a fellow breast cancer survivor.
- To connect with a survivor, try After Breast Cancer Diagnosis (ABCD).
- To learn more about options for emotional support, read about Emotional Support Programs.
Locate Additional Resources
- As your cancer journey continues, you may find yourself in need of additional resources whether they be educational, financial, practical, or emotional.
- Use our Breast Cancer Survivor Resources page to find more resources.
If you would like more guidance for navigating your cancer journey, contact the client services staff at PearlPoint Cancer Support at (877) 467-1936 X 101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.