Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas
Preparing balanced, nutritious meals is all about choosing a variety of foods from different food groups. The food that you eat is fuel for your body. Making sure you get the proper nutrients will help provide the energy your body needs.
Here are a few healthy, easy dinner ideas:
- Top whole wheat spaghetti noodles with a sauce made with ground turkey, crushed tomatoes, green pepper and onion. Add low-fat cheese if desired.
- Pair with a side salad with your favorite dressing.
Chicken stir fry
- Stir-fry cubed chicken breast with red peppers, onions, carrots, broccoli in olive or canola oil.
- Serve with whole-grain brown rice.
- Finish with a dessert of mandarin oranges and low-fat yogurt.
Loaded baked potatoes
- Top a baked or microwaved potato with shredded cheese and chili. Add additional toppings if desired.
- Serve with steamed broccoli.
Black bean tacos
- Fill corn tortillas with black beans, lettuce, tomato, diced cucumbers, and shredded cheese for delicious vegetarian tacos.
- Top with salsa and avocado.
- Serve with diced cantaloupe for a complete meal.
Roasted chicken and veggies
- Roast sliced zucchini and squash topped with a little olive oil, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Serve with baked chicken breasts and a whole grain roll.
Grilled Salmon Salad
- Prepare a green salad with dark, leafy greens like spinach or romaine and top with grilled salmon, feta cheese, sliced almonds, mandarin oranges, craisins, cucumbers, tomatoes, and your favorite dressing.
- Serve with a slice of whole grain toasted bread.
- Top a cooked lean beef, ground turkey or veggie burger with a low-fat cheese slice, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions and serve on a whole wheat bun.
- Pair with a corn and tomato salad and side of strawberries, watermelon, and blueberries.
Soup with grilled cheese
- Pair a homemade or store-bought vegetable and bean soup with a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich on whole grain bread.
- Add a fruit and low-fat yogurt smoothie for dessert.
- Assemble a homemade Hawaiian pizza using a pre-made whole wheat pizza crust, pizza sauce, and low-fat shredded cheese. Top with pineapple, cubed cooked chicken, mushrooms, peppers, and onions and bake.
- Serve with a side salad.
Shrimp and veggies
- Heat pre-cooked shrimp on the stove top. Add a small amount of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper.
- Serve with sides of roasted tomatoes, asparagus, and a whole wheat roll and have a fresh bowl of strawberries for dessert.
- Prepare an omelet that includes sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and roasted new potatoes.
- Cook macaroni cheese pasta, stir in steamed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
- Toss in cooked tofu, ground beef, turkey, or chopped chicken.
- Choose cooked apples or sliced peaches for desert.