Quick and Easy Lunch Ideas
Eating a balanced diet throughout the day is important for both cancer patients and cancer survivors. This will ensure that you are getting all of the energy and nutrients your body needs. Food is fuel for the body. Eating a balanced lunch can boost energy during the middle of the day. Try to pick foods from different food groups to maximize your nutritional value.
Here are a few ideas for eating a well-balanced lunch:
- Pair lean nitrate and nitrate-free ham with a slice of Swiss cheese, spinach leaves and tomato slices on whole wheat bread. Heat in a pan on the stove for a couple of minutes for a hot ham and Swiss sandwich. Pair with a peach.
- Try low-sodium tomato soup from a carton with a grilled cheese sandwich and a pear.
- Top whole wheat English muffin halves with pizza sauce, tomatoes, and shredded mozzarella to make mini margarita pizzas. Place in the oven or toaster oven to heat. *Tip: You can add peppers or basil for taste. Add a side salad with craisins and vinaigrette.
- Mix tuna from a foil pouch with low-fat mayonnaise to make tuna salad. Put on toasted whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato. Pair with grapes and string cheese.
- Roll nitrate and nitrite-free turkey meat, a cheddar cheese slice, mustard, and lettuce in a whole wheat tortilla. Pair with cucumber slices and an apple.
- Mix a low-fat Greek yogurt with raspberries and blackberries and top with almonds. Have a salad on the side with your favorite vegetables, such as peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, or onion. Add your favorite salad dressing.
- Make a sandwich with peanut or almond butter and banana slices on whole wheat bread. Pair with low-fat cottage cheese and grape tomatoes.
- Try a quesadilla made with a whole wheat tortilla, shredded cheese, bell pepper strips. Heat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave. Top with tomato salsa and pair with a plum.
- Microwave or bake a potato, top with low sodium chili, shredded cheese, and broccoli.
- Try hummus or chicken wrap made with a whole wheat tortilla, tomato and feta cheese. Pair with melon chunks.