Tilapia with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Fish is a great source of lean protein. Try this Tilapia with Chunky Tomato Sauce. Even if you’re not the biggest seafood fan, tilapia is a mild white fish so it absorbs the flavors of the accompanying ingredients of the dish. The tomato salsa features garlic, red pepper, and a fresh squeeze of lemon to brighten the flavor.
- 2 (14-oz) cans no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, including green stems
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil (2 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. tilapia fillets
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Place all ingredients, except oil, fish and parsley in a bowl and gently combine well.
In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Place fish in skillet. Top with tomato mixture, cover and simmer over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish is cooked.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 175 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 102 mg sodium.