Turkey Pot Pie with Cornbread Crust
Turkey pot pie with cornbread crust is the ultimate comfort food, and this recipe is a healthy version with less than 300 calories per serving! Tip: If you are short on time, try using frozen vegetables instead of fresh. It’s often easier to keep frozen veggies on hand.
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots, in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup sliced celery, in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice flour
- 1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups cooked diced turkey breast, in 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 tsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 package (10 oz.) gluten-free cornbread mix
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In medium saucepan, simmer carrots, celery and onions in chicken broth until they are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables and set aside. Boil broth until it is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 5 minutes. Set broth aside.
In heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Mix in rice flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute as it bubbles. Do not let it color. Slowly add 1/2 cup of reduced broth and whisk until combined with flour mixture. Gradually add remaining broth while whisking vigorously. Add milk and cook sauce for 5 minutes, whisking often, until it has consistency of light creamed soup. Mix in thyme, turkey, green peas and reserved vegetables. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper. Spread filling in 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
For topping, in microwavable bowl, melt butter. Add milk and egg and mix with fork to beat egg. Stir in cornbread mix. Spoon topping over pot pie filling in baking dish, dropping it in dollops to leave room around edges of pan and between dollops.
Bake pot pie for 30-35 minutes, or until topping feels firm to touch, is lightly browned, and filling is bubbling. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Per 1½ cup serving: 270 calories, 7 g fat (2.5 g sat fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 19 g protein, 3 g fiber, 460 mg sodium.